Graemsay is in the Western
approaches to 'Scapa Flow' lying
between Stromness on Orkney mainland and the North end of Hoy
There are two lighthouses, Hoy High to the East and Hoy Low to the West.
Both were built & designed by Alan Stevenson of the famous lighthouse
engineering family and were commissioned in 1851
The current population is around 24 permanent residents including six
Parts of the island are largely undeveloped and are a haven for many
The islands school was closed in 1996 and the islands six children of
school age travel daily by boat to attend classes in Stromness,.
Most of the island is on mains water piped from the island of Hoy though
some still have private piped spring water
There are no shops on the island apart from the post office which opens
two hours per day on just three days per week from 07:30 to 09:30
Mail is collected and delivered on a daily basis, six days per week.
Shopping can be ordered by phone with some mainland shops delivering to
the cargo boat, though most folk go over to do a large shop every week
Site still under
construction with more content being added as time allows
Last update 30th September
- There will be a break due to holiday